James C. Pyles
Jim Pyles, a co-founder of the firm and has more than forty years of experience in litigation, counseling, and lobbying in the field of health law and policy. Upon graduating from law school, Mr. Pyles served for six years in the Office of the General Counsel for the US Department of Health, Education, and Welfare, where he received the department's Distinguished Service Award for successfully handling complex Medicare litigation.
Nationally known for his expertise with respect to the legal issues related to health information technology and health information privacy, chronic care coordination, home health, hospice, and ambulatory care services, Mr. Pyles also has experience in nearly all areas of the firm's practice. In addition, he is a registered lobbyist for several health care associations and participates intensively in health reform at the federal and state levels. He has crafted major pieces of health care legislation in many areas covered by the Medicare Act. Mr. Pyles was a principal designer and author of the Independence at Home program enacted with bipartisan support as part of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010.
Mr. Pyles' expertise encompasses the legislative and regulatory aspects of government and private health insurance coverage and reimbursement; the legal aspects of acquisitions, mergers, joint ventures, and networks; and the law pertaining to fraud and abuse. He writes and lectures frequently on health reform issues and appears periodically on national television as a health care commentator.
Mr. Pyles serves as counsel to several national mental health and state home care associations and is a member of the Board of Directors of a national physician house call association.
Honors & Distinctions
- Washington Psychiatric Society Advocate of the Year 2002
- Richard Z. Steinmetz Award for “Outstanding Contributions to the Home Health Care Provider Community" 1998
- Malinoski Award, Maryland National Capitol Homecare Association, 1998
- President’s Award, Capitol Home Health Association, 1990
News & Publications
- Jim Pyles to speak at Annual Meeting of the Visiting Nurse Associations of America
- POWERS Principal Jim Pyles Interviewed for HIPAA Article
- Jim Pyles to Deliver Keynote Address at University of Tennessee Health Law Symposium
- Jim Pyles Interviewed on Avoiding Financial Fraud in Long Term Care Facilities
- Jim Pyles Interviewed on Dangers of Medical Identity Theft
- Jim Pyles interviewed in "The Future of Health Law & The Role of Lawyers"
- POWERS Principal and Co-founder Jim Pyles guest commentates on MSNBC regarding the Navy Yard tragedy.
- POWERS Principal Jim Pyles co-leads Clearwater Compliance webinars August 7, 14, and 21
- Jim Pyles quoted in "11 Dangers to Personal Information"
- Jim Pyles authors ABA privacy article and is quoted in Business Week and Bloomberg
- Jim Pyles speaks at Health Information Privacy and Security Event
- Jim Pyles to Address University of Tennessee College of Law Students and Alumni
- HIPAA Audit Boot Camp
- HIPAA Compliance Boot Camp
- Jim Pyles to Present Consumer Health Information Privacy Bill of Rights at Privacy Summit
- Sixteen Independence at Home Projects Selected
- March ANSI Caucus to Feature Health Information Privacy Expert.
- PPSV and Colonnade Healthcare Solutions Present Independence at Home Webinar
- PPSV Presents "Are ACOs for You?" Webinar
- PPSV Sponsors Healthcare Policy Events
- Jim Pyles Addresses Financial Impact of Healthcare Reform
- FTC Postpones Enforcement of "Red Flag" Rule Against Physicians
- PPSV Co-Sponsors "Healthcare Reform: The Next Critical Steps"
- PPSV holds Healthcare Reform Webinars
- Joel Hamme and Jim Pyles address Healthcare Reform and Chronic Care Coordination Issues for Long Term Care Providers
- Federal Trade Commission Delays Enforcement of Red Flags Rule until June 1, 2010
- PPSV Principal Jim Pyles Was Awarded the “Member of the Year” Award by the Maryland National Capital Homecare Association
- Federal Trade Commission (FTC) Delays Enforcement of Red Flags Rule until November 1, 2009
- PPSV Principal and Co-Founder Jim Pyles Authors Medicare Reform Bill Providing New Cost-Saving Medicare Benefit for those Suffering from Multiple Chronic Illnesses
- Pyles and Gourguechon write about the 'Hidden Wounds of War' for Modern Healthcare
- Jim Pyles of PPSV presents the 2008 Special Presidential Commendation from the American Psychoanalytic Association to Congressman Ed Markey (D-MA)
- PPSV Represents 28 State and National Mental Health Organizations in Important Medical Privacy Case
- October 1, 2013: Health Insurance Exchanges Open
- The Healthcare Insurance Marketplace: A One-Stop-Shop for Healthcare?
- The Next Frontier of Patient Privacy: The New HIPAA and Your Agency
- Webinar -- The New HIPAA/HITECH/GINA Regulations: The Immediate Impact and What You Must Do to Reduce Your Risk
- HIPAA Final Omnibus Rule Issued
- Jim Pyles on the Need for a Health Information Privacy Bill of Rights
- Financial Impact of Breached Protected Health Information: A Business Case for Enhanced PHI Security
- Jim Pyles quoted in “CMS Releases Long-Awaited Guidance on Home Visit Demo”
- Are ACOs Right for Your Organization? - Analysis of ACO Final Rule
- PPSV Sponsors HIPAA/HITECH Webinar
- PPACA's Impact on Chronic Care Coordination, Rehabilitation, Post Acute & Long Term Care
- The New Healthcare Reform Law - What It Means for Providers, Practitioners and Consumers
- Overview of Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act
- PPSV's Jim Pyles to Discuss Privacy and HIT on Radio Show
- The Hidden Wounds of War: Of Vets, Mental Disorders, and the Right to Privacy
- Significant Features of Medical Information Privacy Regulations
- Appeared on Bloomberg News, June 27, 2011, “Hospitals Wary of Hackers Seek Insurance From AIG” (http://www.clipsyndicate.com/video/playlist/1778/2586631?cpt=8&title=bloomberg&wpid=0)
- Participated in the First Annual Health Privacy Summit at Georgetown Law School on June 13, 2011
- Quoted in article “Public Concerned About Medical Privacy, Conference Presenters Say”, CQ Healthbeat News, June 13, 2011 (http://corporate.cqrollcall.com/wmspage.cfm?parm1=95)
- Quoted in the Inside Health Policy article, “CMS Releases Long-Awaited Guidance on Home Visit Demo”, December 21, 2011
- Member, Board of Directors, American Academy of Home Care Physicians
- Member, Board of Directors, Maryland National Capitol Homecare Association
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association
- Member, American Constitution Society for Law and Policy
- Member, Tennessee State Bar
- Member, Maryland State Bar
- Member, District of Columbia Bar
- Member, U.S. District Court bar, District of Columbia
- Member, United States Supreme Court Bar